“Auntie K”
You’ve Gotta Have One of These:
I have some favorites. Favorite jeans, a favorite plate, a favorite ice cream flavor, etc. But when I say I have a favorite Aunt, I don’t mean that I love her above the other Aunts, but I mean that she’s just ONE of my favorite people, and she just happens to be my Aunt. So just like my parents tell me that I am their favorite, they also suggest that I keep that on the down-low. “Don’t tell the others,” they say. Not because they don’t want the others to feel bad, but more so, I believe, because they tell the others the same thing they tell me. I know the truth though, and I’ll confidently keep it to myself.
Back to the favorite Aunt thing…I have been thinking about some of these “favorites” in my life lately, and I want to express my gratitude in some small way.
TOP SIX reasons why I love this Lady:
1. My Memories Of Her From Childhood. I remember little things about her when I was growing up. She’s my mom’s twin, so I always recall thinking they looked and acted so similar. I loved when she came to visit. I always thought she was beautiful and stylish. I remember her laugh and the way she made my mom glow. Her children were always such characters and made their visits to see us so eventful and unforgettable. We still talk about stories from their stays.
2. Her Bond With Her Sister, My Mother. One thing that I love about this Aunt is that she truly is one of my mothers most tender and loyal-hearted friends. I love to hear stories about the two of them growing up and even now I love to hear my mom talk about her sister. They are two of a kind and so fun to be with. I feel a dear link and close friendship to my mom and I believe she feels it for me, but I know that no one could ever replace the sweet and unique friendship with her sister. It is something I, too, feel with my sisters. I love that about Karlena.
3. The Way We Bonded. I’ve been so incredibly blessed to be able to spend more in-depth time with my Aunt. When I was in high school, I felt strongly inclined to finish my schooling a little early and earned enough money so that I could go stay with and travel to see my Aunt and Family in Germany. This was a priceless experience! My very first trip away from home – with out my parents. But who better to take me in than this wonderful lady (and I’ll give my Uncle John a little credit). I felt so at “home” with the Gonzos.
It was there, in fact, I think that very night that I arrived, that my relationship with my Auntie would change forever. I recall feeling a bit emotional upon my entrance to the country. Karlena welcomed me and sat on the bed in that dim-lit room with the vaulted ceiling. I had never had my own room; Jeff loaned it to me for my 3 month stay – thank you, Jeff! Karlena and I spent lots of time together in those months. I remember helping her clean the house as we danced to Venezia music. We would run errands, watch old movies, and take walks. I remember each day when the kids would come home, it was hectic and crazy getting them to do their homework, playing outside, and getting dinner ready. It was so fun to be with them. We went on fun ski trips with the Ward to Garmish. Kimberly was quite the character on that trip. It was fun to be an older cousin and playful with them. Karlena and I took some day trips to Heidelberg (one of my favorites), Strasbourg, Michel Stat for Oster Markt, Rotenburg, and Paris. We went on trips with the Jensens and to Italy for Spring Break. It was in Italy that Jeff, complained in the car, “Dad, why did ya bring us here! This is the stupidest vacation you’ve ever brought us on.” And only a few hours later we heard pounding from the hotel shower where we found Jeff pounding the bathmat to the tile wall – having the time of his life. That same trip we went to the Italian coast. Not planning to get wet, we all just played in the sand, but kids will be kids, and eventually one by one the little kids soaked their clothes. I was so impressed with Karlena and John for their patience in allowing such a mess of kids play like that. At the Neushwanstein Castle I recall laughing with my cousins about the Asian tourist saying, “Wash da dishes hee-hee-hee”. Silly memories. My mom came out toward the final weeks of my stay and I just adored watching the two of them! Of coarse, I already had a sweet love for my mother, but to see her and my Auntie that I had grown much closer to in those months was priceless. What fun we had together! Traveling to Holland, Switzerland, Dachau, and Bavaria. It was a highlight of my life to be with them there for a short time.
4. I Love To Talk With Her. She takes her stand and tells you what’s right. She’s sorta reminds me of a “Dr. Laura” figure – in a good way. She’s very wise and bold about standing for truth and doing the right thing. I’ve always loved to talk with her and get her view on important things.
5. Her Sense of Humor. She’s funny! She definitely needs to have a sense of humor because she lives with John twenty-four seven. I love laughing with her.
6. The Way She Loves And Supports Family. It’s one of the single most important things to her. And I’ll tell you how I’m absolutely sure how she feels about family.
■ She has made it a point to travel around the world, wherever and whenever she can possibly get away to be in and see the lives of her family. She traveled all the way to Chile to see ME! Okay, so it wasn’t about me, but more about her sister and her FAMILY that was there. It was so fun to travel around Santiago with
this spunky and fun lady.
■ This woman seems to make it to all her nieces and nephews weddings. She’s not just a guest at these events though, she’s helpful and ready to serve and be in the “thick” of it all. I will never forget having her at my wedding. The day before I got married, I was a mess! We had tables and chairs and lights and flowers to set up for the reception. I will never forget tying silly bows to chairs while Karlena held the ribbon and tied – or vice versa. She visited with me and between her and my mom, it truly helped calm me and bring peace and reality to my big day. I am so grateful that she shared that time with me. I know she loves me and that I’m one of her favorite, but I am convinced that she does it and goes to great lengths because she loves family.
■ She, like my mom, could sit in a room with family and visit, laugh, and cry for days. She seems to love those connections and cherish those sweet moments, relive memories, and constantly make new ones.
This lady has affected my life greatly by her example and nature. You’ve gotta have one of these kind of people in your life. If you don’t, be ONE to someone else. Thank you Auntie! I love you!
You’ve Gotta Have One of These:
I have some favorites. Favorite jeans, a favorite plate, a favorite ice cream flavor, etc. But when I say I have a favorite Aunt, I don’t mean that I love her above the other Aunts, but I mean that she’s just ONE of my favorite people, and she just happens to be my Aunt. So just like my parents tell me that I am their favorite, they also suggest that I keep that on the down-low. “Don’t tell the others,” they say. Not because they don’t want the others to feel bad, but more so, I believe, because they tell the others the same thing they tell me. I know the truth though, and I’ll confidently keep it to myself.
Back to the favorite Aunt thing…I have been thinking about some of these “favorites” in my life lately, and I want to express my gratitude in some small way.
TOP SIX reasons why I love this Lady:
1. My Memories Of Her From Childhood. I remember little things about her when I was growing up. She’s my mom’s twin, so I always recall thinking they looked and acted so similar. I loved when she came to visit. I always thought she was beautiful and stylish. I remember her laugh and the way she made my mom glow. Her children were always such characters and made their visits to see us so eventful and unforgettable. We still talk about stories from their stays.
2. Her Bond With Her Sister, My Mother. One thing that I love about this Aunt is that she truly is one of my mothers most tender and loyal-hearted friends. I love to hear stories about the two of them growing up and even now I love to hear my mom talk about her sister. They are two of a kind and so fun to be with. I feel a dear link and close friendship to my mom and I believe she feels it for me, but I know that no one could ever replace the sweet and unique friendship with her sister. It is something I, too, feel with my sisters. I love that about Karlena.
3. The Way We Bonded. I’ve been so incredibly blessed to be able to spend more in-depth time with my Aunt. When I was in high school, I felt strongly inclined to finish my schooling a little early and earned enough money so that I could go stay with and travel to see my Aunt and Family in Germany. This was a priceless experience! My very first trip away from home – with out my parents. But who better to take me in than this wonderful lady (and I’ll give my Uncle John a little credit). I felt so at “home” with the Gonzos.
It was there, in fact, I think that very night that I arrived, that my relationship with my Auntie would change forever. I recall feeling a bit emotional upon my entrance to the country. Karlena welcomed me and sat on the bed in that dim-lit room with the vaulted ceiling. I had never had my own room; Jeff loaned it to me for my 3 month stay – thank you, Jeff! Karlena and I spent lots of time together in those months. I remember helping her clean the house as we danced to Venezia music. We would run errands, watch old movies, and take walks. I remember each day when the kids would come home, it was hectic and crazy getting them to do their homework, playing outside, and getting dinner ready. It was so fun to be with them. We went on fun ski trips with the Ward to Garmish. Kimberly was quite the character on that trip. It was fun to be an older cousin and playful with them. Karlena and I took some day trips to Heidelberg (one of my favorites), Strasbourg, Michel Stat for Oster Markt, Rotenburg, and Paris. We went on trips with the Jensens and to Italy for Spring Break. It was in Italy that Jeff, complained in the car, “Dad, why did ya bring us here! This is the stupidest vacation you’ve ever brought us on.” And only a few hours later we heard pounding from the hotel shower where we found Jeff pounding the bathmat to the tile wall – having the time of his life. That same trip we went to the Italian coast. Not planning to get wet, we all just played in the sand, but kids will be kids, and eventually one by one the little kids soaked their clothes. I was so impressed with Karlena and John for their patience in allowing such a mess of kids play like that. At the Neushwanstein Castle I recall laughing with my cousins about the Asian tourist saying, “Wash da dishes hee-hee-hee”. Silly memories. My mom came out toward the final weeks of my stay and I just adored watching the two of them! Of coarse, I already had a sweet love for my mother, but to see her and my Auntie that I had grown much closer to in those months was priceless. What fun we had together! Traveling to Holland, Switzerland, Dachau, and Bavaria. It was a highlight of my life to be with them there for a short time.
4. I Love To Talk With Her. She takes her stand and tells you what’s right. She’s sorta reminds me of a “Dr. Laura” figure – in a good way. She’s very wise and bold about standing for truth and doing the right thing. I’ve always loved to talk with her and get her view on important things.
5. Her Sense of Humor. She’s funny! She definitely needs to have a sense of humor because she lives with John twenty-four seven. I love laughing with her.
6. The Way She Loves And Supports Family. It’s one of the single most important things to her. And I’ll tell you how I’m absolutely sure how she feels about family.
■ She has made it a point to travel around the world, wherever and whenever she can possibly get away to be in and see the lives of her family. She traveled all the way to Chile to see ME! Okay, so it wasn’t about me, but more about her sister and her FAMILY that was there. It was so fun to travel around Santiago with
this spunky and fun lady.
■ This woman seems to make it to all her nieces and nephews weddings. She’s not just a guest at these events though, she’s helpful and ready to serve and be in the “thick” of it all. I will never forget having her at my wedding. The day before I got married, I was a mess! We had tables and chairs and lights and flowers to set up for the reception. I will never forget tying silly bows to chairs while Karlena held the ribbon and tied – or vice versa. She visited with me and between her and my mom, it truly helped calm me and bring peace and reality to my big day. I am so grateful that she shared that time with me. I know she loves me and that I’m one of her favorite, but I am convinced that she does it and goes to great lengths because she loves family.
■ She, like my mom, could sit in a room with family and visit, laugh, and cry for days. She seems to love those connections and cherish those sweet moments, relive memories, and constantly make new ones.
This lady has affected my life greatly by her example and nature. You’ve gotta have one of these kind of people in your life. If you don’t, be ONE to someone else. Thank you Auntie! I love you!

1 comment:
Am I the most blessed person to have come to earth with this wonderful friend. She loves my kids like they are hers and has always been my mentor and therapist. I love that you love her too.
Post a Comment